Organic Soybeans (Lacoste)
Our organic soybeans are high in protein and a decent source of both carbs and fat. They are a rich source of various vitamins, minerals, and beneficial plant compounds, such as isoflavones. For this reason, regular soybean intake may alleviate the symptoms of menopause and reduce your risk of prostate and breast cancer.
They are an important component of Asian diets and have been consumed for thousands of years. Today, they are mainly grown in Asia and South and North America. Soy beans contain antioxidants and phytonutrients that are linked to various health benefits.
What is ''Moulin Lacoste''?
- This historic mill was built in the early 1830s in Sainte-Claire (Chaudière-Appalaches) in Quebec. It was at the heart of the development of the parish of Sainte-Claire and the Abenakis. Over the years, grain for the animals and flour were ground there. They sawed wood, made boards, planks, beams and cedar shingles. At that time, the mill was driven by the water of the river, it was dependent on the rhythm of the river.
- The mill fell into a long lethargy during the 1970s. When the turbines gave up the ghost, the owners closed the mill. It was resurrected one fine day in April 1982 under the vision of Hubert Lacoste. He saw in the milling of grains on a stone millstone a way to give back its titles of nobility to the mill and to offer to everyone flour ground on stone millstones. A flour of the highest quality, allowing everyone to choose between so-called commercial flour and this noble product, which has existed for thousands of years as a staple food and a powerful support for daily activities.
- Under Hubert's leadership, thousands of tons of good flour have been produced. In 1986, the quality of these nourishing flours was certified organic. It was sold in Japan, Australia, France, Belgium and many parts of Canada and the United States. In the fall of 2015, after nearly 40 years of service to quality and wellness, Hubert retired.
- Today his son, Reno Lacoste has taken over the reins of the company. He wishes to continue this tradition of quality that his father established and offer you organic stone-ground flours with the same passion that has animated and still animates his family.
- Lacoste flours are what you would expect from a high quality family mill with attention to details from grain selection to the final product.
- Grains are sourced in Quebec and Ontario with an emphasis on local farmers as much as possible.
Are your organic soybeans truly raw?
- We get asked a lot if are soybeans are truly raw. Soybeans are surprisingly very toxic and cannot be consumed raw. Lectins and saponins in raw soybeans can cause acute nausea, gas, abdominal pain, diarrhea or vomiting. In large amounts, ingestion could lead to weight loss, organ failure or death. Lectins in raw soybeans can also cause agglutination, or clumping, in red blood cells, which can lead to hemolytic anemia and jaundice.
- All our soybeans are cleaned, then dried, cleaned again, conditioned (heated), and dehulled. This heating makes them edible and removes the bitter taste of raw soybeans. This does not make them roasted, only slight heat is applied to make them edible.
- All soybeans on the market are processed like this. True raw soybeans are used in large scale commercial transformation for specific uses. If you do require them, please contact us and we will quote you for the metric tons required for your application.
Locally grown in Canada, buying our organic soybeans encourages local farmers and reduces pollution from long-distance transportation.
We source our flour directly at the mill in Sainte-Claire (Chaudière-Appalaches) in Quebec. By partnering up with the mill we can guarantee an exceptional price and freshness. In order to continue to serve smaller customers there can be up to a 4 week lead time on small flour orders (under 10 bulk bags). If there are any other items in your order we will ship the flour separately.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.
We Also Recommend
Great quality organic soybeans
great taste and quality so creamy and no bitterness