Organic Wheat Bran (Fine) (Lacoste)
Country of Origin:
Our organic wheat bran (Fine) is the hard outer layer of the wheat kernel, which is jam-packed with various nutrients and fiber. During the milling process for white flour, the bran is stripped away from the wheat kernel and becomes a byproduct. This byproduct is ironically the most nutritious part of the grain.
Wheat bran has a sweet, nutty flavor. It can be used to add texture and a full-bodied taste to bread, muffins and other baked goods.
Wheat bran is a good source of many nutrients and protein and relatively low in calories. Its an excellent source of dietary fiber as well. Our fine organic wheat bran can easily be added in bread, muffins, shakes and other baked goods.
What is ''Moulin Lacoste''?
- This historic mill was built in the early 1830s in Sainte-Claire (Chaudière-Appalaches) in Quebec. It was at the heart of the development of the parish of Sainte-Claire and the Abenakis. Over the years, grain for the animals and flour were ground there. They sawed wood, made boards, planks, beams and cedar shingles. At that time, the mill was driven by the water of the river, it was dependent on the rhythm of the river.
- The mill fell into a long lethargy during the 1970s. When the turbines gave up the ghost, the owners closed the mill. It was resurrected one fine day in April 1982 under the vision of Hubert Lacoste. He saw in the milling of grains on a stone millstone a way to give back its titles of nobility to the mill and to offer to everyone flour ground on stone millstones. A flour of the highest quality, allowing everyone to choose between so-called commercial flour and this noble product, which has existed for thousands of years as a staple food and a powerful support for daily activities.
- Under Hubert's leadership, thousands of tons of good flour have been produced. In 1986, the quality of these nourishing flours was certified organic. It was sold in Japan, Australia, France, Belgium and many parts of Canada and the United States. In the fall of 2015, after nearly 40 years of service to quality and wellness, Hubert retired.
- Today his son, Reno Lacoste has taken over the reins of the company. He wishes to continue this tradition of quality that his father established and offer you organic stone-ground flours with the same passion that has animated and still animates my family.
- Lacoste flours are what you would expect from a high quality family mill with attention to details from grain selection to the final product.
- Grains are sourced in Quebec and Ontario with an emphasis on local farmers as much as possible.
Locally made in Canada, buying our organic wheat bran encourages local businesses and reduces pollution from long-distance transportation.
We source our flour directly at the mill in Sainte-Claire (Chaudière-Appalaches) in Quebec. By partnering up with the mill we can guarantee an exceptional price and freshness. In order to continue to serve smaller customers there can be up to a 4 week lead time on small flour orders (under 10 bulk bags). If there are any other items in your order we will ship the flour separately.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.