Organic Whole Oat Flour (Lacoste)
Our organic whole oat flour is made from organic oat groats. It is ideal for pastries. For best results, it should be used in combination with wheat flour when making baked goods.
Organic whole oat flour contains potassium, calcium, magnesium, several different B-vitamins and vitamin E. Additionally, oats have trace minerals, such as manganese, copper, iron, selenium and zinc. They are also full of phytochemicals, which are good for you, and contain both insoluble and soluble fiber.
Whole oat flour is made from whole grain oat groats and thus retains the nutrients found in whole grains. Whole grains have the 3 parts of the grain; The bran, endosperm and germ.
Whole grain flour health benefits come mainly from its high-fiber content. High-fiber grains help you with digestion, gut health, and weight management. The FDA even affirms that high-fiber, low-fat diets help reduce the risk of cancer and prevent coronary heart disease.
This organic flour can be used to make: cakes, cookies, muffins, pancakes, pie crusts and waffles.
What is ''Moulin Lacoste''?
- This historic mill was built in the early 1830s in Sainte-Claire (Chaudière-Appalaches) in Quebec. It was at the heart of the development of the parish of Sainte-Claire and the Abenakis. Over the years, grain for the animals and flour were ground there. They sawed wood, made boards, planks, beams and cedar shingles. At that time, the mill was driven by the water of the river, it was dependent on the rhythm of the river.
- The mill fell into a long lethargy during the 1970s. When the turbines gave up the ghost, the owners closed the mill. It was resurrected one fine day in April 1982 under the vision of Hubert Lacoste. He saw in the milling of grains on a stone millstone a way to give back its titles of nobility to the mill and to offer to everyone flour ground on stone millstones. A flour of the highest quality, allowing everyone to choose between so-called commercial flour and this noble product, which has existed for thousands of years as a staple food and a powerful support for daily activities.
- Under Hubert's leadership, thousands of tons of good flour have been produced. In 1986, the quality of these nourishing flours was certified organic. It was sold in Japan, Australia, France, Belgium and many parts of Canada and the United States. In the fall of 2015, after nearly 40 years of service to quality and wellness, Hubert retired.
- Today his son, Reno Lacoste who has taken over the reins of the company. He wishes to continue this tradition of quality that his father established and offer you organic stone-ground flours with the same passion that has animated and still animates my family.
- Lacoste flours are what you would expect from a high quality family mill with attention to details from grain selection to the final product.
- Grains are sourced in Quebec and Ontario with an emphasis on local farmers as much as possible.
Locally made in Canada, buying our organic whole oat flour encourages local farmers and reduces pollution from long-distance transportation.
We source our flour directly at the mill in Sainte-Claire (Chaudière-Appalaches) in Quebec. By partnering up with the mill we can guarantee an exceptional price and freshness. In order to continue to serve smaller customers there can be up to a 4 week lead time on small flour orders (under 10 bulk bags). If there are any other items in your order we will ship the flour separately.
- Nothing beats vacuum sealing for freshness.
- Store below 15°C and < 65% humidity.
- Store in the dark as light degrades flavors.
- Mason jars make great storage containers.
- Can be frozen to prolong shelf life.